Another quick poll

Ben Gunter
This one is about the _eventName parameter. I have gotten the impression
that many people think _eventName works differently than it actually
does. If you pass a parameter named _eventName, then Stripes will use
its value as the event to execute, but only if no other parameter
indicates the event. So if you have an ActionBean that has foo and bar
as events, if you pass just _eventName=foo then foo() will execute. If
you pass foo=whatever&_eventName=bar then foo() will still execute
because it takes precedence.

The JIRA issue I created this morning
(http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if
_eventName is present then it should override any other parameters. In a
comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that. It's
one of those things that could happen but probably not very often. We're
wondering what you all think about it, and how many of you thought
_eventName would override other parameters.

-Ben

Re: Another quick poll

Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind
On 19-05-2008 at 15:32, Ben Gunter wrote:
> The JIRA issue I created this morning
> (http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if
> _eventName is present then it should override any other parameters. In a
> comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that. It's
> one of those things that could happen but probably not very often. We're
> wondering what you all think about it, and how many of you thought
> _eventName would override other parameters.

My preference is that the presence of this field will override the normal
event resolution. The other option would be that it specifies a default in
case the event cannot be inferred from the presence of fields that are
named after one of the events. But according to me, we already have
@DefaultHandler for that.

Regardless of the outcome however, I think it would be a good idea to
document it. I just did a search on the website, and it isn't there. Kind of
disappointing, as we're spoiled with how much it _does_ explain.

Oscar

--
   ,-_   I love deadlines.
  /() )  I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Re: Another quick poll

Jeppe Cramon
Hi

To me this seems most logical: If you specify _eventName explicitly it
should mean that you explicitly want event it specifies
executed, .i.e. an override.
Otherwise the implicit standard processing (of guessing the event name
from parameters) does its work as usual.

/Jepe
On 19/05/2008, at 21.32, Ben Gunter wrote:

> This one is about the _eventName parameter. I have gotten the
> impression
> that many people think _eventName works differently than it actually
> does. If you pass a parameter named _eventName, then Stripes will use
> its value as the event to execute, but only if no other parameter
> indicates the event. So if you have an ActionBean that has foo and bar
> as events, if you pass just _eventName=foo then foo() will execute. If
> you pass foo=whatever&_eventName=bar then foo() will still execute
> because it takes precedence.
>
> The JIRA issue I created this morning
> (http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if
> _eventName is present then it should override any other parameters.
> In a
> comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that.
> It's
> one of those things that could happen but probably not very often.
> We're
> wondering what you all think about it, and how many of you thought
> _eventName would override other parameters.
>
> -Ben

Re: Another quick poll

Scott Archer
I agree with Jeppe,

_event name should override the default workflow. if _event isn't
specified the normal stuff happens.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Jeppe Cramon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> To me this seems most logical: If you specify _eventName explicitly it
> should mean that you explicitly want event it specifies
> executed, .i.e. an override.
> Otherwise the implicit standard processing (of guessing the event name
> from parameters) does its work as usual.
>

> /Jepe
> On 19/05/2008, at 21.32, Ben Gunter wrote:
>
>> This one is about the _eventName parameter. I have gotten the
>> impression
>> that many people think _eventName works differently than it actually
>> does. If you pass a parameter named _eventName, then Stripes will use
>> its value as the event to execute, but only if no other parameter
>> indicates the event. So if you have an ActionBean that has foo and bar
>> as events, if you pass just _eventName=foo then foo() will execute. If
>> you pass foo=whatever&_eventName=bar then foo() will still execute
>> because it takes precedence.
>>
>> The JIRA issue I created this morning
>> (http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if
>> _eventName is present then it should override any other parameters.
>> In a
>> comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that.
>> It's
>> one of those things that could happen but probably not very often.
>> We're
>> wondering what you all think about it, and how many of you thought
>> _eventName would override other parameters.
>>
>> -Ben

Re: Another quick poll

Matthew Altman
Yes, I also agree with Jeppe. It does at least seem to be the most intuitive usage.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Scott Archer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Jeppe,

_event name should override the default workflow. if _event isn't
specified the normal stuff happens.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Jeppe Cramon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> To me this seems most logical: If you specify _eventName explicitly it
> should mean that you explicitly want event it specifies
> executed, .i.e. an override.
> Otherwise the implicit standard processing (of guessing the event name
> from parameters) does its work as usual.
>

> /Jepe
> On 19/05/2008, at 21.32, Ben Gunter wrote:
>
>> This one is about the _eventName parameter. I have gotten the
>> impression
>> that many people think _eventName works differently than it actually
>> does. If you pass a parameter named _eventName, then Stripes will use
>> its value as the event to execute, but only if no other parameter
>> indicates the event. So if you have an ActionBean that has foo and bar
>> as events, if you pass just _eventName=foo then foo() will execute. If
>> you pass foo=whatever&_eventName=bar then foo() will still execute
>> because it takes precedence.
>>
>> The JIRA issue I created this morning
>> (http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if
>> _eventName is present then it should override any other parameters.
>> In a
>> comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that.
>> It's
>> one of those things that could happen but probably not very often.
>> We're
>> wondering what you all think about it, and how many of you thought
>> _eventName would override other parameters.
>>
>> -Ben

Re: Another quick poll

Zenin, Ruslan
+ for _eventName override.

Ruslan Zenin
Senior Consultant, Financial Services

BearingPoint
Management & Technology Consultants

20 Bay Street, Suite 1000
WaterPark Place
Toronto, ON M5J 2X9
Canada

T + 1 416 775 6013
C + 1 905 330 7121
F + 1 416 775 7635

www.bearingpoint.com

[...]

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.

Re: Another quick poll

cracru
+1 for _eventName as override

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Ben Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This one is about the _eventName parameter. I have gotten the impression
> that many people think _eventName works differently than it actually
> does. If you pass a parameter named _eventName, then Stripes will use
> its value as the event to execute, but only if no other parameter
> indicates the event. So if you have an ActionBean that has foo and bar
> as events, if you pass just _eventName=foo then foo() will execute. If
> you pass foo=whatever&_eventName=bar then foo() will still execute
> because it takes precedence.
>
> The JIRA issue I created this morning
> (http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if
> _eventName is present then it should override any other parameters. In a
> comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that. It's
> one of those things that could happen but probably not very often. We're
> wondering what you all think about it, and how many of you thought
> _eventName would override other parameters.
>
> -Ben

Re: Another quick poll

Asleson, Ryan

I think _eventName should override any other event method resolution
methods.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Ben Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This one is about the _eventName parameter. I have gotten the
> impression that many people think _eventName works differently than it

> actually does. If you pass a parameter named _eventName, then Stripes
> will use its value as the event to execute, but only if no other
> parameter indicates the event. So if you have an ActionBean that has
> foo and bar as events, if you pass just _eventName=foo then foo() will

> execute. If you pass foo=whatever&_eventName=bar then foo() will still

> execute because it takes precedence.
>
> The JIRA issue I created this morning
> (http://www.stripesframework.org/jira/browse/STS-568) proposes that if

> _eventName is present then it should override any other parameters. In

> a comment, Tim pointed out a reason why we might not want to do that.
> It's one of those things that could happen but probably not very
> often. We're wondering what you all think about it, and how many of
> you thought _eventName would override other parameters.
>
> -Ben

This e-mail message is being sent solely for use by the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by phone or reply by e-mail, delete the original message and destroy all copies. Thank you.

Re: Another quick poll

Ben Gunter
Sounds like we have a consensus then. This will be how it works in 1.5.

-Ben