Date field validation doesn't work as expected with Tomcat 7

tika
Right now I'm learning Stripes from the Fred's book and from the very beginning I'm wondering should I use Tomcat 6/7/8 or something else?
Here is what I've experienced today while trying to start the example "email_06". Stripes version was 1.5.

First:
${actionBean.class} used in JSPs, works in Tomcat 6.
Need to be changed to ${actionBean.getClass()} to be able to work in Tomcat 7.
This was just a notification on the difference between running examples on Tomcat 6 & 7.

Second:
@Validate(field = "birthDate", expression = "${this < today}") works in Tomcat 6 for a Date field.
In Tomcat 7 it doesn't work at all, i.e. it raises an exception:
"javax.el.ELException: The identifier [this] is not a valid Java identifier as required by section 1.19 of the EL specification"
To make it work, 'this' identifier should not be used, so the the first guess to address this would be: ${birthDate < today}
This does not raise an exception but also does not validate the field at all, i.e. it doesn't do the job so I wonder what might be the solution?

I believe that validation expression ${this < today} for date field have not changed since Stripes 1.5 so I'm interested if you're getting the same error in your projects

Re: Date field validation doesn't work as expected with Tomcat 7

Richard P. Osseweyer
As for your second question, a similar question was asked on stack exchange. Please allow me to refer you to the topic here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33583376/stripes-framework-expression-validation-on-property

Look for the part about the 'SKIP_IDENTIFIER_CHECK' Vm argument.

Hope it works!
Richard

Tika Spic <[hidden email]> schreef op 29 augustus 2016 23:10:47 CEST:
[...]

Hi Tika,

I did some googling and it looks like this was an issue introduced in Tomcat 7 possibly

Perhaps give this solution a try?

-- Rick

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Tika Spic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Rick! It works. I just added:
-Dorg.apache.el.parser.SKIP_IDENTIFIER_CHECK=true
to the IDEA Run config:
Run -> Edit Configurations -> Server -> VM options

and it runs without problem. Thank you again.

Now, I believe that this would impose an issue on a shared Tomcat 7 hosting? What do you think?
In fact, if you didn't come across this problem earlier, what server do you use for development and hosting?

And one more thing. If ${this < today} didn't worked, why ${birthDate < today} works but not properly, i.e. one can save a birthDate that comes after 'today'?

[...]

Rick Grashel
Tika,

Is there a place where the full code for this example can be seen?  I need to see it in context of the rest of the code.

Thanks.

-- Rick

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Tika Spic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That's it. Thanks.

I've been using source and libs from the Fred's book and he had used Stripes 1.5RC1. That's far older than Stripes 1.5.8 when this issue was addressed.

So, to sum it up:
1) 'this' keyword can be used in validation expressions for any Stripes version if
    a) used on Tomcat 5 & 6
    b) used on Tomcat 7 & 8, Tomcat must be ran with -Dorg.apache.el.parser.SKIP_IDENTIFIER_CHECK=true
2) 'self' can be used in validation expressions side-by-side with 'this' starting from Stripes v1.5.8. Previous Tomcat VM parameter is not needed if used only 'self' keyword.

@Iwao AVE!, I saw that someone recommended '_this' insted of 'self'. That was half way from the solution used in Scala, i.e. just underscore.