Deploying project using Stripes to Tomcat 8

Deploying project using Stripes to Tomcat 8

Scharp, Michael
Hi!

I’ve recently inherited a project that is using Stripes 1.5.3.  We currently build against the java 1.7.0_55 JDK and deploy to Tomcat 7.  For some other reasons not related to this project, we are upgrading tomcat from 7 to 8.  Our application continues to build and deploy fine, but when running in Tomcat 8, there is an exception thrown in the Stripes framework when rendering any page that uses Stripes.  I then upgraded Stripes to 1.5.8 and the error persists.  I am not sure if it is completely related to Stripes or not, but I’m hoping you all can provide some insight/direction on how to solve this issue.  This is the error:

04-Feb-2015 15:37:03.127 SEVERE [tomcat-http--38] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception

 java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldCache.getTaglibXml(TldCache.java:97)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:179)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:411)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:469)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1430)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:139)

04-Feb-2015 15:37:03.127 SEVERE [tomcat-http--38] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet [web] in context with path [/pm] threw exception [javax.servlet.ServletException: net.sourceforge.stripes.exception.StripesJspException: An exception was raised while invoking a layout. The layout used was '/WEB-INF/views/layout/ListViewTemplate.jsp'. The following information was supplied to the render tag: LayoutContext{component names=[topmessage, scriptBody, filterBox, header], parameters={}}] with root cause

 java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldCache.getTaglibXml(TldCache.java:97)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:179)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:411)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:469)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1430)

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:139)

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).  This message or any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without authorization from Fidelity Investments.

_____________________________________

Michael Scharp

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

XTRAC Solutions

A Fidelity Investments Company

49 North 400 West, SLG2D

Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

801-537-4756 [phone]

801-651-8002 [mobile]

www.xtracsolutions.com

Re: Deploying project using Stripes to Tomcat 8

Iwao AVE!
Hi,

The exception looks similar to this.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25902137/error-compiling-jsps-in-apache-tomcat-8-0-12

Regards,
Iwao

> [...]
>
> at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:139)
>

> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks!
>

> The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain
> confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use
> of the named addressee(s).  This message or any part thereof must not be
> disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without
> authorization from Fidelity Investments.
>

> _____________________________________
>
> Michael Scharp
>
> SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
>
> XTRAC Solutions
>
> A Fidelity Investments Company
>
> 49 North 400 West, SLG2D
>
> Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
>

> 801-537-4756 [phone]
>
> 801-651-8002 [mobile]
>
> www.xtracsolutions.com

Re: Deploying project using Stripes to Tomcat 8

Rusty Wright-2
I have a project that would simply stop outputting its html from the jsp, randomly.  No errors in the tomcat log files.  It started after I upgraded to tomcat 8.  When I downgraded to tomcat 7 the problem stopped.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Iwao AVE! <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:139)
>

> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks!
>

> The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain
> confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use
> of the named addressee(s).  This message or any part thereof must not be
> disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without
> authorization from Fidelity Investments.
>

> _____________________________________
>
> Michael Scharp
>
> SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
>
> XTRAC Solutions
>
> A Fidelity Investments Company
>
> 49 North 400 West, SLG2D
>
> Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
>

> 801-537-4756 [phone]
>
> 801-651-8002 [mobile]
>
> www.xtracsolutions.com

Re: Deploying project using Stripes to Tomcat 8

I saw that stack overflow post, but as I’m not doing pre-compilation or using ant I didn’t know if it was relevant.  Also, the only .tld file in our project is a security file and it isn’t the one throwing errors.  However, I will take a closer look.

Any other suggestions?  Has anyone had success using stripes in Tomcat 8?

Thanks for the help!