File downloads, not really sure how to phrase question

File downloads, not really sure how to phrase question

Heather and Jon Turgeon
Hi all, my app builds files to download upon a user's request. Using StreamingResolution seems to work well most of the time. One problem I seem to be having is my site sort of supports users with internet connections that are frequently less than great (it is a site used by sailors cruising in remote areas of the world). I think what I need to implement is some sort of multi-part with checksum for these downloads in order to get these files to my users. Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to go about this using Stripes? I am guessing something on the client end will also need to be written?

Jon

Re: File downloads, not really sure how to phrase question

Nestor Hernandez

Hi Jon, I think your requirement has more to do with the way you manage your files than with Stripes.

My advise that you split the file in multiple parts and then give option to the user to download those parts
A quick google for 'split file java' send me to http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~trnka/CISC370-05J/code/FileSplitter/FileSplitter.java. Maybe you can adapt that code.

El jun. 21, 2015 3:42 AM, "Heather and Jon Turgeon" <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hi all, my app builds files to download upon a user's request. Using StreamingResolution seems to work well most of the time. One problem I seem to be having is my site sort of supports users with internet connections that are frequently less than great (it is a site used by sailors cruising in remote areas of the world). I think what I need to implement is some sort of multi-part with checksum for these downloads in order to get these files to my users. Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to go about this using Stripes? I am guessing something on the client end will also need to be written?

Jon

Re: File downloads, not really sure how to phrase question

Hi

Have you considered using range support ?

It allows a client to specify a range of the resource to be fetched, so that the resource can be downloaded in "chunks".

Stripes does provide support for Ranges :

Most media players / download tools (even the browsers) implement ranges client-side. For example, when you browser downloads a large file, the download may be interrupted several times without you even noticing it. The browser uses ranges to resume the download from where it last stopped.