FlashScope

James Walker-15
I am trying to temporarily save data on the server side. If possible, I would
prefer to use FlashScope rather than the session since I only want to save the
data temporarily. But I have just not had any luck retrieving anything that I
have saved to the FlashScope. If it helps, I can provide my use case and
reasoning, but this post is long enough already :)

I have read the following and will be referring to them below:
Stripes state management article:
http://www.stripesframework.org/display/stripes/State+Management
FlashScope API documentation:
http://stripes.sourceforge.net/docs/current/javadoc/net/sourceforge/stripes/con
troller/FlashScope.html
Stripes book: Stripes... and Java web development is fun again

A method in my ActionBean returns a ForwardResolution to a JSP. So the first
thing I tried was saving a String parameter to the FlashScope, but I couldn't
retrieve that FlashScope in another method of my ActionBean that is invoked by
the JSP, even if I add the FlashScope key as a parameter to the
ForwardResolution.

Since FlashScope documentation talks about redirects, I decided to try
changing my ForwardResolution to a RedirectResolution. I could not
successfully redirect to my JSP with the RedirectResolution (need to
investigate), so I had the RedirectResolution redirect to an ActionBean method
which returns a ForwardResolution to the JSP. I tried both saving the String
parameter to the FlashScope as before and flashing the ActionBean instance by
appending .flash(this) to the RedirectResolution, but still no luck.

I noticed the state management article states, "If you redirect to an
ActionBean that forwards to a JSP, the flashed ActionBean will be overwritten
with the ActionBean you redirected to", so that probably explains my issues.
But the Stripes book discourages redirecting to a JSP because it breaks the
preaction pattern.

Is redirecting to a JSP the only way to use the FlashScope? If so doesn't that
mean the FlashScope would only be available in the JSP? I would like to get to
it in my ActionBean. And if possible I would really like to use it with a
ForwardResolution. My ActionBean methods typically return a ForwardResolution
unless they modify the database in which case they would return a
RedirectResolution.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: FlashScope

Poitras Christian

FlashScope is meant to be used for the Redirect-After-Post pattern, basically :
1) ActionBean changes something on the server (usually database).
2) ActionBean redirects to another/same ActionBean to prevent double submit if user press refresh. Current ActionBean wants to save information for the other ActionBean.

What you want to do seems to be to save information for the JSP after a Forward.
In such cases, save information in the Request instead.

Christian

Poitras Christian <Christian.Poitras@...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> FlashScope is meant to be used for the Redirect-After-Post pattern,
basically :
> 1) ActionBean changes something on the server (usually database).
> 2) ActionBean redirects to another/same ActionBean to prevent double submit
if user press refresh.
> Current ActionBean wants to save information for the other ActionBean.
>
> What you want to do seems to be to save information for the JSP after a
Forward.
> In such cases, save information in the Request instead.
>
> Christian

I see. Thanks for the feedback. I will see if I can do what I want by saving
information in the Request.