ForwardResolution and parameters

Mike McNally-3
If I return a ForwardResolution from an action, and I've called "addParameter()" on that ForwardResolution instance to add a parameter or two, should I expect the target ('forwarded-to") ActionBean to "see" the parameters as if they were really there in the HTTP request?

I'm kind-of fuzzy on the semantics of how forwarding works.

--
Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: ForwardResolution and parameters

Shawn Church-5
Yes, the target will see the parameters as usual, but I normally set
an http attribute rather than adding a parameter if I really need to
forward rather than redirect.  For the sake of back-button safety I
avoid server-side fowards when possible, but I'm sure there are times
when it's appropriate.

The servlet container is responsible for handling all the low-level
bundling of parameters if you add a parameter to the request.

Shawn

Quoting Mike McNally <[hidden email]>:

> If I return a ForwardResolution from an action, and I've called
> "addParameter()" on that ForwardResolution instance to add a parameter or
> two, should I expect the target ('forwarded-to") ActionBean to "see" the
> parameters as if they were really there in the HTTP request?
>
> I'm kind-of fuzzy on the semantics of how forwarding works.
>

> --
> Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
> Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: ForwardResolution and parameters

Mike McNally-3
OK thanks.  I think I like the idea of a request attribute better too; it's less dependent on each bean.

In my case I've got a single-page app with the history managed at the client, so the server doesn't generally worry about it too much.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Shawn Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the target will see the parameters as usual, but I normally set
an http attribute rather than adding a parameter if I really need to
forward rather than redirect.  For the sake of back-button safety I
avoid server-side fowards when possible, but I'm sure there are times
when it's appropriate.

The servlet container is responsible for handling all the low-level
bundling of parameters if you add a parameter to the request.

Shawn

Quoting Mike McNally <[hidden email]>:

> If I return a ForwardResolution from an action, and I've called
> "addParameter()" on that ForwardResolution instance to add a parameter or
> two, should I expect the target ('forwarded-to") ActionBean to "see" the
> parameters as if they were really there in the HTTP request?
>
> I'm kind-of fuzzy on the semantics of how forwarding works.
>

> --
> Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
> Pink and shiny, turn around.

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: ForwardResolution and parameters

Shawn Church-5
One other point to consider is that adding a parameter to the request could result in multiple single parameter values if the parameter already existed in the request. Depending on your app, you may or may not want that, but it could be useful if you needed to retain previous values for a given parameter. There are arguably better ways to get the same result, but it could be used for example for something like building a breadcrumb trail in simple apps.

On Nov 8, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Mike McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK thanks.  I think I like the idea of a request attribute better too; it's less dependent on each bean.

In my case I've got a single-page app with the history managed at the client, so the server doesn't generally worry about it too much.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Shawn Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the target will see the parameters as usual, but I normally set
an http attribute rather than adding a parameter if I really need to
forward rather than redirect.  For the sake of back-button safety I
avoid server-side fowards when possible, but I'm sure there are times
when it's appropriate.

The servlet container is responsible for handling all the low-level
bundling of parameters if you add a parameter to the request.

Shawn

Quoting Mike McNally <[hidden email]>:

> If I return a ForwardResolution from an action, and I've called
> "addParameter()" on that ForwardResolution instance to add a parameter or
> two, should I expect the target ('forwarded-to") ActionBean to "see" the
> parameters as if they were really there in the HTTP request?
>
> I'm kind-of fuzzy on the semantics of how forwarding works.
>

> --
> Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
> Pink and shiny, turn around.

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,