Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

parveen yadav
Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

Morten Matras-2
Hi Yadav

Yes, integrating Hibernate with Stripes could be documented a bit better. Its been years since I looked at it.

At LeadDoubler we've made a framework that does 95% of the programming for us related to hibernate. This might be what you are looking for.

Are you looking for a simple how to tutorial?


Morten Matras


Sent from Mailbox


On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM, parveen yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

parveen yadav
Morten Matras <kodekongen@...> writes:

>
>
> Hi Yadav
>
> Yes, integrating Hibernate with Stripes could be documented a bit better.
Its been years since I looked at it.
>
> At LeadDoubler we've made a framework that does 95% of the programming for
us related to hibernate. This might be what you are looking for.

>
> Are you looking for a simple how to tutorial?
>
>
> Morten Matras
>
> —Sent from Mailbox
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM, parveen yadav <parveenyadavtitian <at>
gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
> simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
> experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
> step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
> (only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced
programmer.

> I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
> if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes
> thanks
> yadav
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Stripes-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stripes-users mailing list
> Stripes-users@...
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
>

Hi Morten,

My application is going to be pretty complex with time. So I looked at ORMs
and Hibernate & EBean(First Choice) are the once I like the most. If you
think your framework works well with stripes and can also provide almost the
same functionality and is easy to use (like ebean) it will be great if you
could share the framework & user
guide.

If not I am just looking for a simple tutorial that guides me in integrating
ebean or hibernate with stripes and help me write a simple CRUD DAO

Thanks
yadav
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

Alessio Stalla-2
Hi,

as another shameless plug, if you're interested in evaluating open source frameworks based on Stripes and Hibernate that make CRUD dead simple and require little or no programming, have a look at our Portofino: http://portofino.manydesigns.com

cheers,
Alessio

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM, parveen yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Morten Matras <kodekongen@...> writes:

>
>
> Hi Yadav
>
> Yes, integrating Hibernate with Stripes could be documented a bit better.
Its been years since I looked at it.
>
> At LeadDoubler we've made a framework that does 95% of the programming for
us related to hibernate. This might be what you are looking for.
>
> Are you looking for a simple how to tutorial?
>
>
> Morten Matras
>
> —Sent from Mailbox
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM, parveen yadav <parveenyadavtitian <at>
gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
> simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
> experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
> step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
> (only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced
programmer.
> I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
> if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes
> thanks
> yadav
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Stripes-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Stripes-users mailing list
> Stripes-users@...
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
>

Hi Morten,

My application is going to be pretty complex with time. So I looked at ORMs
and Hibernate & EBean(First Choice) are the once I like the most. If you
think your framework works well with stripes and can also provide almost the
same functionality and is easy to use (like ebean) it will be great if you
could share the framework & user
guide.

If not I am just looking for a simple tutorial that guides me in integrating
ebean or hibernate with stripes and help me write a simple CRUD DAO

Thanks
yadav
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users



--
Alessio Stalla | Software Architect
M: +39 340 7824743 | T: +39 010 566441 | F: +39 010 8900455
[hidden email] | www.manydesigns.com

MANYDESIGNS s.r.l.
Via G. D'Annunzio, 2/51 | 16121 Genova (GE) | Italy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

VANKEISBELCK Remi
In reply to this post by parveen yadav
Hi,

Unfortunately there ain't no "official" Stripes/Hibernate plugin as far as I know. We had "Stripernate" once but it doesn't seem to exist any more. We discussed this on IRC recently and agreed it's a problem, the lack of such integration layers... 

We're typically in the case of someone who wants to persist data (everybody or almost does) and we have no real answer for him. It's doable and many of us rolled their own solution, but it's not available directly, as a plugin, whereas it totally could (Stripernate).

Anyway, here's how it goes :
1/ setup the SessionFactory at init time (webapp listener or load-on-startup servlet), configure the entity classes etc
2/ register Type Converter(s) and Formatters for Entity classes : those will convert incoming HTTP params to Entity objects (we often refer to this as "hydratation" of the Domain Objects)
3/ manage transactions (per request - OSIV, per DAO call, ...)
4/ integrate Validator to ValidationMetadataProvider 

I think integrating another ORM would be pretty much similar.

1,2 and 3 are pretty easy to handle. 4 is another story.

Here's some code (from Woko) if you want to have a look :


and
and their factories : those use the ObjectStore in 1/ in order to do the job.


4/

Again, this code is clearly not something you should need to worry about, it is quite specific Stripes/Hb gluecode. 

So I'd start with a built-in stack if I were you, be it Woko or another, but with one single requirement : your UI code (ie controllers and views) should not depend on the framework. If it's done correctly, persistence is non-intrusive, and you should be able to replace the whole thing without impacting the whole app. The code that depends on Hb is the Type Converters and stuff, but again, this is transparent.

With Woko, and probably the other folks' frameworks too, you just write annotated entities and have all the rest working directly (1,2,3, and 4). Then you can write your ActionBeans and JSPs, with a persistence layer that works ootb. You don't have to use *all* of those stacks, and they can serve as a bootstrap for writing applicative code directly instead of plumbing.

You can even remove the dep on the fwk eventually, and implement the persistence layer differently.

Cheers

Rémi


2015-08-21 2:27 GMT+02:00 parveen yadav <[hidden email]>:
Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

Rick Grashel
In reply to this post by parveen yadav
Yadav,

Something you should look at is implementing an Generic AbstractDAO pattern.  In Java, this is a wonderful way to separate things at the domain object level and allow for a high amount of re-use.  If you are using Spring (which most Hibernate users are), take a look at this page:


Once you have created your DAOs, you will want to make get accessible from your Stripes ActionBeans by injecting them into a custom ActionBeanContext that you create for your application (by implementing the ActionBeanContext interface and declaring it in your web.xml -- see here  https://stripesframework.atlassian.net/wiki/display/STRIPES/Configuration+Reference).  Then, in your Stripes ActionBean, you end up with code like this:

int numberOfCustomers = getContext().getCustomerDAO().countAll();

I have been wanting to create an example Stripes project which uses Hibernate and a simple in-memory database as an example of how easy it is to do a full-stack application in Stripes, but I just haven't had the time lately.

If you are building a more Ajax-oriented application, then you will want to look at the "Rock and Roll" example in the Stripes main branch: 


As you build a small example, please feel free to reach out here or come to IRC for help (#stripes).  We're here to help you get up and running.  We've all built large applications using Stripes, so we have a lot of experience in doing it.

Thanks!

-- Rick


On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:27 PM, parveen yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

tmcsys
In reply to this post by parveen yadav

Check out stripersist:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stripes-stuff/files/Stripersist/

There is a sample program in the distribution.

It simple and works like a charm.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:27 PM, parveen yadav wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

Nestor Hernandez
Hi Yadav, Are you sure that you want to use the Hibernate API?, We have an standard API for ORM that is called JPA and works with multiple providers(Hibernate, EclipseLink, etc.)

If you're deploying to a Java EE server (Full or WebProfile) then i'ts very easy to use JPA, because it all comes integrated. There are many Java EE servers like TomEE, Glassfish, WebLogic.

This page has a good example in order to use JPA with EJB in TomEE https://jaxenter.com/getting-started-with-apache-tomee-105824.html. Usually only the configuration of the database is different in servers, the API is the same .

Once you have your Dao you can inject (@Inject) in an ActionBean. In order to do that get this plugin https://github.com/StripesFramework/stripes-injection-enricher

Cheers!





 



2015-08-21 12:58 GMT-05:00 Tom Coleman <[hidden email]>:

Check out stripersist:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stripes-stuff/files/Stripersist/

There is a sample program in the distribution.

It simple and works like a charm.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:27 PM, parveen yadav wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

VANKEISBELCK Remi
In reply to this post by parveen yadav
Nice, I didn't know it was still available.

We should move the code to gh and add some docs in the wiki ?

Cheers

Rémi

De : [hidden email]
Envoyé : ‎21/‎08/‎2015 19:58
À : [hidden email]
Objet : Re: [Stripes-users] Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes


Check out stripersist:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stripes-stuff/files/Stripersist/

There is a sample program in the distribution.

It simple and works like a charm.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:27 PM, parveen yadav wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

Joaquin Valdez-2
Yes please.

Joaquin Valdez
[hidden email]
1.541.702.1281

On Aug 21, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Remi Vankeisbelck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice, I didn't know it was still available.

We should move the code to gh and add some docs in the wiki ?

Cheers

Rémi

De : [hidden email]
Envoyé : ‎21/‎08/‎2015 19:58
À : [hidden email]
Objet : Re: [Stripes-users] Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes


Check out stripersist:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stripes-stuff/files/Stripersist/

There is a sample program in the distribution.

It simple and works like a charm.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:27 PM, parveen yadav wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

Morten Matras-2
In reply to this post by VANKEISBELCK Remi
You may choose not to go down the DAO route, I might be wrong, but it seems to force you to write too many classes and interfaces.

It is actually possible to create a simple system with the following elements:

1 HibernateFilter class ensuring that transactions are managed as they should and that sets up the whole database and manages all the Entities. Ensuring that the database is ready and updated with every update of the code.

1 java class per entity

1 line of code in each Stripes action function that tells the HibernateFilter whether to store updates on the entities in the database or not.

That way you end up with a few classes that manages the whole setup and 1 java bean per entity you need in your system.

No spring, just 1 simple 20 line hibernate.cfg.xml file and you are ready to add entity bean classes where you need them.

Stripes will manage the lookup from the database, the mapping of form elements with entity properties and the hibernatefilter will manage the process of persisting the entity.

Am I missing something?


Morten


Sent from Mailbox


On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Remi Vankeisbelck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice, I didn't know it was still available.

We should move the code to gh and add some docs in the wiki ?

Cheers

Rémi

De : [hidden email]
Envoyé : ‎21/‎08/‎2015 19:58
À : [hidden email]
Objet : Re: [Stripes-users] Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes


Check out stripersist:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stripes-stuff/files/Stripersist/

There is a sample program in the distribution.

It simple and works like a charm.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:27 PM, parveen yadav wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
(only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced programmer.

I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes

thanks
yadav




------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Integrate Hibernate or eBean with Stripes

parveen yadav
In reply to this post by parveen yadav
parveen yadav <parveenyadavtitian@...> writes:

>
> Hi All,
>
> This is my first interaction with Stripes. The framework looks clean and
> simple. I come from Oracle Commerce(formally ATG) background and do not have
> experience with any other frameworks at all. I am unable to find any step by
> step guide to integrate Hibernate or EBean with stripes. The documentation
> (only for Hibernate) provided on the site is more for a experienced
programmer.
>
> I am developing a portal related to real-estate. It will be really helpful
> if someone could help me out on integrating ebeans or hibernate with Stripes
>
> thanks
> yadav
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>


Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the help.
I have finally figured out how to integrate ebeans
with stripes. I am creating a repository on git
and will share the code with you all after that.

Note: replying to my message as it kept giving me error that
lines contains more that 80 characters so replying here

Thanks a lot
yadav


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Stripes-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/stripes-users