New Release

transient
Is there any plan on releasing a new version of Stripes in 2014? Please let
me know. Thanks.

Re: New Release

Ben Gunter
While I can't rule it out completely, there is no work being done toward a new release at this time.

-Ben

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any plan on releasing a new version of Stripes in 2014? Please let
me know. Thanks.

Re: New Release

VANKEISBELCK Remi
Hi Cody, folks,

We've had this discussion already in the past, several times if I remember well.

There always have been those "phases" where nothing happens on the MLs or JIRA, and people tend to perceive this as a sign of the framework "dying off", as you say.

But in the end, there's a lot of Stripes apps in production, which just seem to work fine and don't really need no Stripes upgrades. I mean, there ain't, AFAIK, no blocking feature or bug. It just works, and that's the beauty of it !

We rarely release because we simply just don't need to. Stripes is simple, and works fine for us. Why should we bother try to change it ? And bother the users who'd need to upgrade more frequently ?

In case you need a major improvement or bug fix, I'm sure that you'll find all help and contrib you need here. And we can release quite fast, most of it is automated...

Is there still active interest in continuing the project?  Maybe we could find a new batch of contributors?  I would be willing for sure, as Stripes is still a key part of our technology stack.  I've always believed in the goal of the framework compared to the other main players and I would sure hate to see it die off entirely.

-Cody

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Ben Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
While I can't rule it out completely, there is no work being done toward a new release at this time.

-Ben

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any plan on releasing a new version of Stripes in 2014? Please let
me know. Thanks.

Re: New Release

Stone, Timothy

Hear! Hear! Remi.

I’ve often heard it said and recounted on IRC: “Stripes is Feature Complete.”

We often find implementers seeking Feature X from This Other Framework, but find quickly that Feature X is not in the domain of what Stripes is intended to fill. Stripes doesn’t need a default template library: like freemarker? Use freemarker. Like JSPs? Use JSPs. The integration is trivial and supported.

Major Bugs and Security issues are addressed in a timely manner.

I do think that some work might be nice in the HTML5 space (of which I should really finish my tag library edits for new form elements, yet again, the Dynamic TLD addresses these nicely for the most part, hence the lack of urgency).

We run two HUGE externally facing applications for customers on Stripes and have no major issues requiring a “new version.” When I say HUGE, I mean 10 million plus customers.

Stripes just works.

Tim

[...]

Barclaycard

www.barclaycardus.com

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.

Re: New Release

Joshua Chaitin-Pollak
As a personal anecdote, as we migrate more and more of our server-side services to an AJAX / REST api, we are finding limitations with Stripes, so we will most likely phase it out and migrate to something else. If Stripes had better support for some REST needs (changing response codes and other HTTP headers), listening for specific HTTP method calls, etc, we might stick with it.

-Josh

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM, VANKEISBELCK Remi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chief Technology Officer
Assured Labor, Inc.

AJAX and REST Framework Support

Nikolaos Giannopoulos
Typically no support or new releases for a project imply a developer needs to be wary that the project may be "dead" and / or "disappear" altogether.  I think that phenomena does NOT apply to Stripes due to its maturity and pointed focus on being a web framework and letting other APIs or components do the additional lifting.

With that said though I have been doing a lot of Drupal 7 / PHP custom development and I am really enjoying the Ajax support built into the framework that allows one to:

- Wire form buttons and/or form links as Ajax enabled and include a callback with a message and/or throbber for the Ajax request
- Pressing or clicking those links causes an Ajax request to go back to a) rebuild the form and b) fire a callback function that returns the list of divs that are to be re-rendered in the form
- Return of the Ajax request causes the re-rendered form elements to be displayed in the web browser

Having worked with Stripes for several years now I can understand the argument that it is feature complete however:

1)  Does Stripes offer any framework support like this?

2)  Should Stripes offer framework support like this?

3)  What are others doing when building Ajax enabled applications with Stripes?

4)  Has anyone built such support and if so is the community interested in integrating it into Stripes? Or perhaps rolling it into a sub-project like Stripersist... say Stripajax ;-)

We are starting a new project which will definitely leverage Ajax in forms and I am interested in hearing the opinions of the Stripes Users and Development community.

--Nikolaos

On 14-03-07 2:43 PM, Joshua Chaitin-Pollak wrote:
As a personal anecdote, as we migrate more and more of our server-side services to an AJAX / REST api, we are finding limitations with Stripes, so we will most likely phase it out and migrate to something else. If Stripes had better support for some REST needs (changing response codes and other HTTP headers), listening for specific HTTP method calls, etc, we might stick with it.

-Josh

Re: AJAX and REST Framework Support

VANKEISBELCK Remi
Hi Nikolaos,

I don't know of any Ajax-lib-xyz/Stripes integration project. I tend to think that it's because Ajax apps don't really care about what MVC you use, or even the server platform.
I mean, it's orthogonal : JavaScript is in the page, and uses "standard" HTTP/JSON like protocols with the server.

For example, Dojo has a whole bunch of utilities for FORM management : it is not tied to any server-side framework or language. You can back the FORM with Stripes or anything (PHP, Ruby, whatever).

Stripes is really good at HTTP request handling IMHO, and your app will probably mix good old HTML with more dynamic, Ajax-stuff.
Even when using Ajax, in every page, you'll probably ask yourself if that fragment is better handled client side, or by returning HTML from the server... you know the story !
Stripes allows to mix both styles easily. It's good for writing regular FORMs, and ActionBeans can also handle Ajax requests. Binding, security, templating, etc. : you'll need those anyway.

So in the end, excepted for people who absolutely wanna send PUTs and DELETEs, I can't see a reason why you'd choose another MVC... because Ajax or not, you'll need one.

I think the choice of the JS lib is more tricky (and the code to write too)...

[...]

Aradiusz Milewski
Hello Nikolaos

I'd like to encourage you to check out AjaxAnywhere library: http://www.ajaxanywhere.com.
I use it with stripes in all of my applications and it works great.

W dniu 2014-03-11 17:16, Nikolaos Giannopoulos pisze:
[...]

I've been watching this thread and if you are looking to use Stripes to create a REST API, I am here to tell you that you can absolutely do it.  I've built three of them.  If you'd like, I can share a custom base REST API action bean class that I wrote which will facilitate the easy creation of REST API calls that subclass it.  I can even include a subclass API example.

It has full support for processing GET/POST/DELETE/PUT requests.  Full support for streaming responses as well as JSON.  Easy ability to return custom HTTP error response codes.

The nice thing about writing a REST API using Stripes is that you can re-use a lot of your existing Stripes base action beans, validators, and type converters.  I tried going down the road of writing a REST API using other Java approaches.  It was a big pain, because I was having to duplicate a lot of the same functionality that Stripes already gave me for free.

If you would like the REST API class with example, let me know.  I'll gladly share it with you and others.

-- Rick

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Joshua Chaitin-Pollak <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

HI Rick,

That sounds great, I'd be happy to take a look. Thats the sort of thing I would love to see integrated into a new release of Stripes!

-Josh

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Rick Grashel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Joshua,

It ain't actual REST (no verbs), but you can even do a very cool thing with Stripes (using interceptors) : you can easily transform an existing app's ActionBeans to a fully working RPC backend. You can easily turn "GUI-oriented" beans into endpoints that return JSON (or XML or whatever you want), and therefore factor out a lot of code, keep URLs consistent etc.

For example :
/view/MyStuff/123 -> return HTML
/view/MyStuff/123?isRpc=true -> return JSON

Just using a single additional parameter, you can decide to return JSON or a regular Resolution. This one is a contrived example, but it actually works on complex action beans. You use the same code in order to grab the bean, bind everything, handle validation errors, and call the event handler... The only bit of code you need to write is the return of an alternate, "rpc-enabled" Resolution instead of the classical Forward or Redirect.

Basically opens your app to any program that can send HTTP requests and understands JSON.

My 0.02$