Newbie

tika
Hi all.

I haven't been programming web apps for a long time and now I want to rework
one of my apps from Struts 1 to something else. It seems to me that,
compared to other web frameworks, Stripes seems to be appropriate for my
needs and flavour. My question is regarding the book about Stripes. It was
published in 2008 and I'm wondering what part of that book is still valid
for Stripes 1.6?

Second, I will also vote for JsonBuilderFactory as my favourite is genson
library.

Kind regards. Tika.

Re: Newbie

Joaquin Valdez-2
I find the book to be relevant and still a good resource from time to time.

Joaquin Valdez
[hidden email]

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 8:02 AM, tika <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I haven't been programming web apps for a long time and now I want to rework
> one of my apps from Struts 1 to something else. It seems to me that,
> compared to other web frameworks, Stripes seems to be appropriate for my
> needs and flavour. My question is regarding the book about Stripes. It was
> published in 2008 and I'm wondering what part of that book is still valid
> for Stripes 1.6?
>
> Second, I will also vote for JsonBuilderFactory as my favourite is genson
> library.
>
> Kind regards. Tika.

Re: Newbie

Arnold

Regards, Arnold Graaff
Skype ID: arnoldgr
Tel: +27 83 700 2858

On 21 December 2015 at 17:02, tika <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all.

I haven't been programming web apps for a long time and now I want to rework
one of my apps from Struts 1 to something else. It seems to me that,
compared to other web frameworks, Stripes seems to be appropriate for my
needs and flavour. My question is regarding the book about Stripes. It was
published in 2008 and I'm wondering what part of that book is still valid
for Stripes 1.6?

Second, I will also vote for JsonBuilderFactory as my favourite is genson
library.

Kind regards. Tika.

Re: Newbie

Joaquin Valdez-2
I have that one too..Its condensed and good as well.

Joaquin Valdez
[hidden email]

On Dec 21, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

Regards, Arnold Graaff
Skype ID: arnoldgr
Tel: +27 83 700 2858

On 21 December 2015 at 17:02, tika <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all.

I haven't been programming web apps for a long time and now I want to rework
one of my apps from Struts 1 to something else. It seems to me that,
compared to other web frameworks, Stripes seems to be appropriate for my
needs and flavour. My question is regarding the book about Stripes. It was
published in 2008 and I'm wondering what part of that book is still valid
for Stripes 1.6?

Second, I will also vote for JsonBuilderFactory as my favourite is genson
library.

Kind regards. Tika.

Re: Newbie

tika

> tika,
> You've already gotten some great answers from other folks. I'll only add
that you should also check out the Stripes example applications.  They are a
great way to see easy to understand examples of real world use cases.
Welcome to Stripes!

> -- Rick
>

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM, tika
<[hidden email]> wrote:Hi all.

> I haven't been programming web apps for a long time and now I want to rework
> one of my apps from Struts 1 to something else. It seems to me that,
> compared to other web frameworks, Stripes seems to be appropriate for my
> needs and flavour. My question is regarding the book about Stripes. It was
> published in 2008 and I'm wondering what part of that book is still valid
> for Stripes 1.6?
> Second, I will also vote for JsonBuilderFactory as my favourite is genson
> library.
> Kind regards. Tika.
Thank you all.

Yes, I'm aware of the existence of the new book about Stripes but wanted
some more info about "Stripes: ...and Java web development is fun again".
I'm very glad to hear it is still valid. It says a lot about framework.

Thank you for your tip Rick. I usually use to say that framework example
applications can be considered as a best framework usage patterns so are
something that should not be avoided.

p.s.
Is there some forum about Stripes?

Re: Newbie

You are right that samples in the distribution should show how to lake the best out of the fwk. Unfortunately, it's not always true in our case...

The Calc example for instance is crappy, and we should rewrite it. It doesn't even follow the "pre-action" pattern and allows access to JSPs.

Also, we have all samples in the same webapp. We should have separate webapps for separate samples instead, would be less confusing (dependencies, custom interceptors etc).

I'd recommend "bugzooky", as it shows indexed props, the s:form taglib, post-and-redirect, and things like this. It's probably the most comprehensive sample we have for "traditional" webapp dev (ie not Ajax).

There's no forum I know of, but the list is just the same. There ain't too many people, so feel free to drop an email whenever you have a question.