SSL with Stripes

Andy Patil
Hi,

I am trying to implement SSL for Login screen for an application. I am using Stripes 1.6 with Tomcat 8.0 on Centos 6.5.

I have tried to include the Stripes configuration entries as published in the README.txt file from the Stripes-SSL-v5.zip.

Unfortunately Tomcat will not start with those entries. I am sure I need some other software to be installed. Is there another jar I am missing?  Where does the stripes.tld get installed?

I do not see net.sourceforge.stripes.util.UrlParser and net.sourceforge.stripes.util.HttpUrlInfo classes mentioned in the README.txt file, in stripes-1.6.0.jar.

I need help with:

  1. Configuring stripes SSL in Tomcat 8.0
  2. What additional SSL software needs to be insatalled.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You and Regards,

Andy

Re: SSL with Stripes

Rick Grashel
Hi Andy,

This isn't really a Stripes question as much as it is a setup question for securing a Java web application on Tomcat.  If you want your Java web application to be secured through SSL, you can apply a simple directive in your web.xml file.  Here is a small example web.xml which will ensure that your entire application goes through SSL.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

... various web.xml entries ...

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>secure-area</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <user-data-constraint>
        </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>
</web-app>

For information on how to force only certain parts of your application though SSL, just do a Google search for "web.xml security-constraint ssl".  You'll find a lot of great information out there.

Hope that helps!

-- Rick

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Andy Patil <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rick,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to refer to the Stripes_SSL.zip package that I was basing my setup for using SSL with Stripes.

I wonder if anyone has implemented the instructions in teh README file. I am attaching it along so that you can throw some light
 on it.

Appreciate your help.

Thank You and Regards,

Andy

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Rick Grashel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

readme.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: SSL with Stripes

Rick Grashel
Hi Andy,

Someone else will need to help you with this if they know what it is.  I'm not familiar with what ZIP file you have.  I do see references to very old posts about it, but I'm not sure if anything was ever done with it.

However, if you are open to it, you can just take the latest Stripes 1.6 release you downloaded, put the web.xml entries as I outlined, and your login page should be secured through SSL without any special Stripes-specific annotations.  I (and others) have written many applications based on Stripes which have login pages and use SSL without needing the ZIP file that you outline.

Good luck.

-- Rick

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Andy Patil <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you again very much. I will definitely try your recommendation. Will let you know.