Stripes and Angular.js

Joe Adams-2
Hi,

We were interested in using Angular.js.  However, this might be a problem because Angular puts attributes in your html and Stripes JSP tags don't really allow any custom attributes in your html tags.  Has anyone found a way to use Stripes with Angular or another library that uses custom html attributes?

Has anyone wrote a good extension to Stripes tags that allows the use of custom attributes in the tags?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Stone, Timothy
Slightly confused.

1. Angular is going to work on the returned response to the client and perform general DOM hijacking. Unsure why stripes is involved. Do you have a unit test we can review?

2 .Have you looked at the stripes dynamic TLD? It allows dynamic attributes in the JSP tags

HTH
Tim

We were interested in using Angular.js.  However, this might be a problem because Angular puts attributes in your html and Stripes JSP tags don't really allow any custom attributes in your html tags.  Has anyone found a way to use Stripes with Angular or another library that uses custom html attributes?

Has anyone wrote a good extension to Stripes tags that allows the use of custom attributes in the tags?

Thanks,
Joe

Barclaycard

www.barclaycardus.com

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Freddy D.

Hi Joe,

Stripes comes with a "dynamic attributes" version of its tag library. You can use it by declaring the following in your JSP (notice the -dynattr part):

<%@ taglib prefix="stripes" uri="http://stripes.sourceforge.net/stripes-dynattr.tld" %>

You can use both the "regular" and the "dynattr" versions if you wish; just declare both and use different values for the prefix= part.

Hope that helps.

Freddy

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Joe Adams wrote:
Hi,

We were interested in using Angular.js.  However, this might be a problem because Angular puts attributes in your html and Stripes JSP tags don't really allow any custom attributes in your html tags.  Has anyone found a way to use Stripes with Angular or another library that uses custom html attributes?

Has anyone wrote a good extension to Stripes tags that allows the use of custom attributes in the tags?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Joe Adams-2
Thanks for the info, everyone!

We'll try out the non-strict tld.

Joe

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Adam Stokar
Hi Joe,

If you don't mind telling me, what type of datasource are you using with Angular.js?  I just watched the video and it seems like a really great framework to build a single-page js app.

Thanks,

Adam

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Joe Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the info, everyone!

We'll try out the non-strict tld.

Joe

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Joe Adams-2
Hi Adam,

We haven't really started with Angular and I'm not sure if I understand the question.

I guess the datasource would just be the web app.  We would just write action classes to answer the AJAX requests.  You can also just print out JSON variables right on your jsp.   In other words, you can write "var myData=${actionBean.data}; " on the script section of your page.

Joe

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Mike McNally-3
I don't know too much about Angular, but one of the things to be
overcome when considering any framework like that for use with Stripes
is the set of inherent assumptions Stripes makes about forms.
Specifically, Stripes validation needs to know about the "source page"
and also the "fields present" information. Normally it gets that from
its own form tag, but if you're using a JavaScript templating system
to build pages (and forms) on the client then there's a problem.

The approach I'm taking (again, not Angular, but still with
client-generated forms) is to provide that via a couple of hacked new
tags, one to generate the "source page" string and one for the "fields
present" (so that, for example, un-checked checkbox fields can be
correctly set by Stripes).  Those get sent over in the JSON when a
form is to be shown, and then the client templates just drop them in
hidden input fields so that Stripes will be none the wiser when the
POST happens.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Joe Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> We haven't really started with Angular and I'm not sure if I understand the
> question.
>
> I guess the datasource would just be the web app.  We would just write
> action classes to answer the AJAX requests.  You can also just print out
> JSON variables right on your jsp.   In other words, you can write "var
> myData=${actionBean.data}; " on the script section of your page.
>
> Joe
> ________________________________

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Adam Stokar
This was my concern Mike.  Good idea for the work around.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Mike McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know too much about Angular, but one of the things to be
overcome when considering any framework like that for use with Stripes
is the set of inherent assumptions Stripes makes about forms.
Specifically, Stripes validation needs to know about the "source page"
and also the "fields present" information. Normally it gets that from
its own form tag, but if you're using a JavaScript templating system
to build pages (and forms) on the client then there's a problem.

The approach I'm taking (again, not Angular, but still with
client-generated forms) is to provide that via a couple of hacked new
tags, one to generate the "source page" string and one for the "fields
present" (so that, for example, un-checked checkbox fields can be
correctly set by Stripes).  Those get sent over in the JSON when a
form is to be shown, and then the client templates just drop them in
hidden input fields so that Stripes will be none the wiser when the
POST happens.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Joe Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> We haven't really started with Angular and I'm not sure if I understand the
> question.
>
> I guess the datasource would just be the web app.  We would just write
> action classes to answer the AJAX requests.  You can also just print out
> JSON variables right on your jsp.   In other words, you can write "var
> myData=${actionBean.data}; " on the script section of your page.
>
> Joe
> ________________________________

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Grzegorz Krugły
Let me ressurect this thread for a bit longer :-)
Has any one of you successfully (or not) done some work with AngularJS
together with Stripes? I'm especially interested in pairing Stripes
validation with AngularJS' one and servicing form submissions (the
source page attribute, etc.) -- maybe someone has already cleared the
path and wouldn't mind sharing solutions?

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

Marcus Kraßmann-2
Am 19.02.2013 15:55, schrieb gshegosh:
Let me ressurect this thread for a bit longer :-)
Has any one of you successfully (or not) done some work with AngularJS
together with Stripes? I'm especially interested in pairing Stripes
validation with AngularJS' one and servicing form submissions (the
source page attribute, etc.) -- maybe someone has already cleared the
path and wouldn't mind sharing solutions?

Here a short report about my first AngularJS experiences. Although I did not try to pair validation of Stripes and Angular, I'll write it down. Maybe it will bring back life into the discussion ;-)

At the beginning of 2013, I decided to use AngularJS within an existing Stripes application for a customizable calendar management solution. The application allows customers to order special articles from different locations for a selectable date. For date selection the jQuery UI Datepicker is used. The new calendar management page should allow exceptions from the general rule "Order allowed from Monday till Friday".

At fist I just build the JavaScript model for the calendar. Then I use a separate async http request for getting all existing exceptional dates from the backend. After putting them into the calendar controller, it "magically" renders itself the way I want it to do. By clicking calendar items, the state of these dates is inverted with every click. In the end, when the user clicks "submit", another async request is sent to Stripes with the new exceptional date list. The incoming JSON is validated by Stripes.

IMHO AngularJS is a brilliant JS framework. As it already has built-in templating, I tend to go away from JSP tags and to use Angular's own way of doing templating. Stripes' remaining responsibility reduces more and more to...
  • input validation
  • calling of backend services
  • delivery of html snippets for Angular's routing functionality
  • security checks
As AngularJS' $resource service allows accessing RESTful services, I fear that I will more and more move away from Stripes itself the more I learn about Angular and frameworks like Jersey. But it was again nice to see that Stripes was no showstopper when I started experiments with AngularJS - together with the stripes-dynattr.tld I had no trouble at all.

Kind regards,
Marcus

Re: Stripes and Angular.js

samaxes
In our case, we have gone even further, we have completely removed Stripes from AngularJS apps.
We have found to be easier to just go with plain JAX-RS services on the server (in our case RESTEasy in JBoss AS).
I've also posted an article about how you can use Bean Validation with JAX-RS at samaxes.com for server input validations.

Best,