Stripes and handling errors in web applications

Stripes and handling errors in web applications

Piotr Gliźniewicz-2
Hi,
I'm trying to get Stripes working with error pages for my webapp. The
problem is it always results in an endless loop.

The 404 error page in web.xml is /error.jsp. It forwards to
/support/Error. The ErrorAction just returns a ForwardResolution to
/WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp.

I thought it's a problem with the DynamicMappingFilter (I wanted to use
it for links without ".action" prefix) so I changed it back to
StripesFilter, but ended up with the same:
/badUrl -> 404 -> /error.jsp -> forward to /support/Error -> forward to
/WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp and it goes again to /error.jsp.

If more detail is needed, I described my problems with the
DynamicMappingFilter at stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9362413/dynamicmappingfilter-and-to-many-nested-request-with-error-pages

I don't understand why it loops. Requesting:
/error.jsp
/support/Error
/WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp
works as expected - `/WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp` is rendered.

Any hints what is wrong?

Regards,
piotrek

Re: Stripes and handling errors in web applications

Ben Gunter
Do you have DMF (and maybe StripesFilter, depending on how your web.xml is set up) mapped to execute on error, like this?

<filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>DynamicMappingFilter</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
    <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
    <dispatcher>INCLUDE</dispatcher>
    <dispatcher>ERROR</dispatcher>
</filter-mapping>

2012/2/21 Piotrek Gliźniewicz <[hidden email]>
[...]

Yes, DMF (I only have DMF in my web.xml) is also mapped to ERROR.

> Do you have DMF (and maybe StripesFilter, depending on how your web.xml
> is set up) mapped to execute on error, like this?
>
> <filter-mapping>
> <filter-name>DynamicMappingFilter</filter-name>
> <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
> <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
> <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
> <dispatcher>INCLUDE</dispatcher>
> *<dispatcher>ERROR</dispatcher>
> * </filter-mapping>
>
> 2012/2/21 Piotrek Gliźniewicz
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi,
>     I'm trying to get Stripes working with error pages for my webapp. The
>     problem is it always results in an endless loop.
>
>     The 404 error page in web.xml is /error.jsp. It forwards to
>     /support/Error. The ErrorAction just returns a ForwardResolution to
>     /WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp.
>
>     I thought it's a problem with the DynamicMappingFilter (I wanted to use
>     it for links without ".action" prefix) so I changed it back to
>     StripesFilter, but ended up with the same:
>     /badUrl -> 404 -> /error.jsp -> forward to /support/Error -> forward to
>     /WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp and it goes again to /error.jsp.
>
>     If more detail is needed, I described my problems with the
>     DynamicMappingFilter at stackoverflow:
>     http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9362413/dynamicmappingfilter-and-to-many-nested-request-with-error-pages
>
>     I don't understand why it loops. Requesting:
>     /error.jsp
>     /support/Error
>     /WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp
>     works as expected - `/WEB-INF/pages/test.jsp` is rendered.
>
>     Any hints what is wrong?
>
>     Regards,
>     piotrek

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Re: Stripes and handling errors in web applications

Piotr Gliźniewicz-2
If it helps, here is my whole web.xml:
http://pastebin.com/xFxrjRZc

The ActionResolver is just to clear the .action suffix:

public class FriendlyNameBasedActionResolver extends
NameBasedActionResolver {

     public static final String CUSTOM_BINDING_SUFFIX = "";

     @Override
     protected String getBindingSuffix() {
         return CUSTOM_BINDING_SUFFIX;