session data lifetime?

Rusty Wright-2
Newbie question: If I put something in the session using my ActionBeanContext subclass, for how long is that data available?  I'm finding that with Tomcat, running in/under Eclipse, it goes away after an hour or so (not sure how long it is, but not very long).

E.g., I'm using

public void setUserProfile(UserProfile userProfile) {
    getRequest().getSession().setAttribute("user_profile", userProfile);
}

Thanks

Re: session data lifetime?

Mike McNally-3
Sessions expire. The timing of that is generally a configuration
option of the servlet engine you're using (Tomcat).

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Newbie question: If I put something in the session using my
> ActionBeanContext subclass, for how long is that data available?  I'm
> finding that with Tomcat, running in/under Eclipse, it goes away after an
> hour or so (not sure how long it is, but not very long).
>
> E.g., I'm using
>
> public void setUserProfile(UserProfile userProfile) {
>     getRequest().getSession().setAttribute("user_profile", userProfile);
> }
>
> Thanks

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: session data lifetime?

Rusty Wright-2
Thanks.  That makes sense, now that I bother to think about it.  I was living in a dream world where I thought the data lasted forever.  I found this in the Eclipse Tomcat web.xml

  <!-- ==================== Default Session Configuration ================= -->
  <!-- You can set the default session timeout (in minutes) for all newly   -->
  <!-- created sessions by modifying the value below.                       -->

    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Mike McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sessions expire. The timing of that is generally a configuration
option of the servlet engine you're using (Tomcat).

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Newbie question: If I put something in the session using my
> ActionBeanContext subclass, for how long is that data available?  I'm
> finding that with Tomcat, running in/under Eclipse, it goes away after an
> hour or so (not sure how long it is, but not very long).
>
> E.g., I'm using
>
> public void setUserProfile(UserProfile userProfile) {
>     getRequest().getSession().setAttribute("user_profile", userProfile);
> }
>
> Thanks

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: session data lifetime?

Poitras Christian

You can also set the session timeout per app in the app’s web.xml file.

If the app does not define a session timeout, it takes the value of the web server.

Thanks.  That makes sense, now that I bother to think about it.  I was living in a dream world where I thought the data lasted forever.  I found this in the Eclipse Tomcat web.xml

  <!-- ==================== Default Session Configuration ================= -->
  <!-- You can set the default session timeout (in minutes) for all newly   -->
  <!-- created sessions by modifying the value below.                       -->

    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Mike McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sessions expire. The timing of that is generally a configuration
option of the servlet engine you're using (Tomcat).

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Newbie question: If I put something in the session using my
> ActionBeanContext subclass, for how long is that data available?  I'm
> finding that with Tomcat, running in/under Eclipse, it goes away after an
> hour or so (not sure how long it is, but not very long).
>
> E.g., I'm using
>
> public void setUserProfile(UserProfile userProfile) {
>     getRequest().getSession().setAttribute("user_profile", userProfile);
> }
>
> Thanks

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.

Re: session data lifetime?

Rusty Wright-2
Ok, thanks.

Even if I set it for a day or two I think I'd still need to handle an expired session since someone could leave their browser open and go on vacation for a long time.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Poitras Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can also set the session timeout per app in the app’s web.xml file.

If the app does not define a session timeout, it takes the value of the web server.

Thanks.  That makes sense, now that I bother to think about it.  I was living in a dream world where I thought the data lasted forever.  I found this in the Eclipse Tomcat web.xml

  <!-- ==================== Default Session Configuration ================= -->
  <!-- You can set the default session timeout (in minutes) for all newly   -->
  <!-- created sessions by modifying the value below.                       -->

    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Mike McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sessions expire. The timing of that is generally a configuration
option of the servlet engine you're using (Tomcat).

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Newbie question: If I put something in the session using my
> ActionBeanContext subclass, for how long is that data available?  I'm
> finding that with Tomcat, running in/under Eclipse, it goes away after an
> hour or so (not sure how long it is, but not very long).
>
> E.g., I'm using
>
> public void setUserProfile(UserProfile userProfile) {
>     getRequest().getSession().setAttribute("user_profile", userProfile);
> }
>
> Thanks

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.