stream resolution file download

Joaquin Valdez-2
Hello!

I seem to have trouble with the results of downloading an Excel spreadsheet (XLS or XSLX) file using the following code:

 public Resolution getAttachment() {

        Attachment attachment = attachmentDao.read(getAttachId());
        if (attachment.getIns().getId().equals(getIns().getId())) {
                return new StreamingResolution
                (attachment.getContentType(), new ByteArrayInputStream(attachment.getData()))
                    .setFilename(attachment.getFileName());

The upload appears to happen just fine as I am able to open up the uploaded file and it renders like it should.  The downloaded file appears garbled.  Attached is an image of the mess in Apple Numbers and it looks Similar in Libre Office.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Joaquin

Re: stream resolution file download

Joaquin Valdez-2
Thanks Rick!

To read using BaseDaoImpl:

  @Override
    public T read(ID id) {

        return Stripersist.getEntityManager().find(getEntityClass(), id);
    }

To store the attachment:

  private void addAttachment(FileBean fileBean) throws IOException {
        Attachment attachment = new Attachment();
        attachment.setFileName(fileBean.getFileName());
        attachment.setContentType(fileBean.getContentType());
        attachment.setFilesize(fileBean.getSize());

        byte[] data = new byte[(int) fileBean.getSize()];
        InputStream in = fileBean.getInputStream();
        in.read(data);
        attachment.setData(data);

        attachment.setIns(getIns());
        attachmentDao.save(attachment);
        attachmentDao.commit();
        attachment = attachmentDao.read(attachment.getId());
        fileBean.save(new File(attachmentDao.getFilePath(attachment)));
        getIns().getAttachments().add(attachment);
    }

Thank you,
Joaquin

On Oct 3, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Rick Grashel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 6.14.30 AM.png>

Re: stream resolution file download

Rick Grashel
Joaquin,

I honestly think what is being temporarily persisted on disk (from the FileBean) is NOT exactly matching what is being put into the DB.

A couple of things here.  First, converting file blobs for DB storage can be very sensitive.  I had all sorts of issues going from FileBeans on the file system to byte arrays where there would be mysterious paddings of null (char(0)) that would be missing.  Almost like it was a native filesystem block/page issue or a filesystem metadata issue.  Some of the file formats are very sensitive to even padded nulls at the end or beginning of their file.

Another problem I've had before is the JDBC driver itself not persisting the BLOBs properly if my DAO code was using setBlob() rather than setBinaryStream().  I'm not sure what Stripersist uses behind the scenes, but that is also something to check.  But for safety, setBinaryStream() should be used.  I've never had a problem with it.  Even if you end up using Stripersist to store the attachment (without the blob) and then do a manual JDBC call for the binary stream... you should do that.

The other possibility (if these are very large files) is to first insert the attachment metadata/object using Stripersist/JPA (without the blob) and then create a native OS Executor to execute your DB command-line utility to import the file into the Blob column.  For MySQL, that would look something like "update attachment set data = LOAD_FILE( '/path/to/file');'

So those are some ideas to try out.  Good luck.

-- Rick

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Joaquin Valdez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Rick!  This is sure puzzling.

When I first encountered this problem, I was not saving the file data in the database at all.  Rather, just the stats of the file (filename, size) in the Attachment table.  The file was stored on disk, then read and streamed back when requested by the AB.  This worked just fine for text files but not PDF’s or Excel files.

Hmm….thanks for the direction.  I will keep digging.

-Joaquin