stripes-archetype-quickstart-1.0

Rusty Wright-2
(Thumbnail synopsis; the app blows up with ClassCastException when I extend ActionBeanContext.)

This was downloaded from

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mvnstripes/files/stripes-quickstart-1.0/1.0/stripes-archetype-quickstart-1.0.jar/download

Using eclipse with its built in maven I couldn't get it to create a new maven project by adding the archetype using the eclipse dialog box for creating a new project, where you can type in all of the parameters into the dialog box (archetypeArtifactId etc.)  So I downloaded the jar file, extracted it, and manually copied the files into a new maven project where the selected archetype was groupid= org.apache.maven.archetypes and the artifact id= maven-archetype-webapp, version 1.0, and fixed the places and replaced ${groupId} with mine (com.objecteffects) and ${artifactId} with sample.

I couldn't change the eclipse project facet Dynamic Web Module from 2.3 to 2.4 (to match the web-app 2.4 version in web.xml) so I resorted to brute force and edited org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml and changed it to 2.4 there.  Being paranoid since I'm editing one of eclipse's files I exited and then started it.  Then right clicked on the project and ran maven -> Update Project, followed by a menu Project -> Clean... and that finally got rid of the red error flag on the project.

I created an eclipse run configuration for maven with the goal jetty:run and ran that, then waited for maven to download a billion and one jar files and start jetty, which it finally did.

Opened the url localhost:8080/sample and got the Home.html "Congratulations!" page. (But with some intervening flailing around until I remembered that I needed to replace the ${package} in web.xml (global search and replace never seems to come to mind in these situations).

Next, I created a new Action Bean Context class:

package com.objecteffects.sample.action;

import net.sourceforge.stripes.action.ActionBeanContext;

/**
 */
public class SampleActionBeanContext extends ActionBeanContext {
}

Then I changed the BaseActionBean to use this class:

package com.objecteffects.sample.action;

import net.sourceforge.stripes.action.ActionBean;
import net.sourceforge.stripes.action.ActionBeanContext;

public class BaseActionBean implements ActionBean {
    private SampleActionBeanContext context;

    public ActionBeanContext getContext() {
        return this.context;
    }

    public void setContext(ActionBeanContext context1) {
        this.context = (SampleActionBeanContext) context1;

Now when I try to open the page it blows up with a ClassCastException, "net.sourceforge.stripes.action.ActionBeanContext cannot be cast to com.objecteffects.sample.action.SampleActionBeanContext".  This is happening on the line "this.context = ...".

The supplied pom.xml specifies 1.5 for the java language, and the project's properties has 1.5 for the java compiler JDK compliance.  But I'm using jdk 1.8.0_111.

I'm going to try replacing my 1.8 jdk with the 1.5 one and see if that fixes it, but while I'm in the process of that I thought I'd ask if anyone knows what's wrong?

Thanks

Re: stripes-archetype-quickstart-1.0

Rick Grashel
Hi Rusty,

I've never seen that project before.  If you are trying to set up a Maven project, you might want to start from the Stripes Example Webapp (and the POM) straight out of Jenkins:

That should actually work and it is built daily.

-- Rick

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've retired and haven't done any programming in at least 5 years and have forgotten almost everything, which is why I was spaced out about configuring my ActionBeanContext subclass.

Once I studied my web.xml I would have known. I was thinking that the code could be self documenting if there was an annotation, one that did had the same effect as the ActionBeanContext.Class init param in the web.xml.